January 2018: Serious vulnerabilities have been discovered that weaken the
security of most current computers, phones and tablets. I’m maintaining a
page with information about this.
Hello, I’m Martin.
I’m a computer technician and tutor serving North Oxford, Kidlington, Woodstock and the
surrounding villages. I help with PCs and Macs, tablets, phones, networks, broadband and more.
If you’d like help buying or learning to use a computer product, or have a problem, call me on:
Or send me an email:
- 400+ customers served
- 10 years’ freelance experience
- Computing degree from Oxford Brookes
- Two years employed as an IT administrator
My rate is £38 per hour. I give free estimates.
- If I can’t fix something, I don’t charge for my time
- I take security and privacy seriously
- I recycle old equipment responsibly
- I’m insured
Some things I help with
- Setting up new computers and transferring data, paying particular attention
to security, making sure software is up to date and that Windows
PCs have antivirus installed and superfluous programs removed.
- Slow broadband, a complex and often misunderstood
issue with a whole range of possible causes and solutions.
- Synchronising email, contacts and calendars between devices.
- Backup. Everyone should do it!
Some things I like
- Apple Macs. Their higher cost is justified by the easy, consistent
software. They’re simpler to set up and don’t come with junk programs like most PCs.
- Gmail. It’s got great security and spam protection, and is easy to use on
any device. I can help you transition from your existing email account.
- Powerline networking. It’s like a miracle cure for Wi-Fi problems. My
recommended brand is Devolo.
I’ve volunteered as editor of the Tackley
Newsletter since 2006 and as production assistant for Woodstock & Bladon News since 2017.
I built and manage the website of Tackley Local
My other creations include the static HTML templating system Tiny and the
music quiz Beats Me.
I like cycling, eighties music, small dogs and birds.